12/02/2009

The Originals & The Covers

Crab apple tree by creek.

(9:03 am all broken links are fixed, sorry about that.)

I just finished watch The Ed Sullivan Show (the show - Ed Sullivan Rock 'n Roll Classics: the 60's) was on PBS, they are on their cash drive again. So of course they have programs I want to watch. Anyway they showed Tommy James and the Shondells doing Crimson & Clover and how the next day it hit #1 on the US music charts. This got me thinking of a bunch of different things. Programs like Sullivan's really did promote record sales, it was free publicity for the artist and the record company. The program would draw a large audience, especially if they promoted the hell out of it during the week, and the advertiser sponsoring the show would be happy with the reach of their adds. The audience would get their fix of the favorite rock acts. A nice complete circle where everyone gets what they want.

Do we have any variety shows like this now. In Canada we don't, I don't think the states does either. Not sure of the rest of the world. I know, I know ... Saturday Night Live, Letterman, Jimmy Fallon and the other late shows have bands on. But not like it was with Sullivan, Sonny and Cher or Donny and Marie. We sat around the TV as a family watching these shows and the music reached a larger audience, it wasn't narrow casted to a limited audience. I think the TV market has become to saturated with shows to have the kind of effect that Sullivan once had on the music industry. It's a shame.

Also while watching the show I got to thinking... Damn, Joan Jett covered most of these tunes. So for your listening pleasure, The Originals & The Covers.
Enjoy.

Tommy James and the Shondells - Crimson & Clover
Joan Jett & the Blackhearts - Crimson & Clover (live in NY 1982)

Sly & The Family Stone - Everyday People
Joan Jett & the Blackhearts - Everyday People

The origional is not from the Ed Sullivan show time period, I just like it a lot.
The Arrows - I Love Rock & Roll
Joan Jett - I Love Rock & Roll

No comments: